Sunday, May 12, 2013

On this Mother's Day

One of the people I admired the most was my Mother.   When I look back at her life and what I knew of it, I am awed.  

But first, I have to stop and focus on a previous statement -- "what I knew of it."    OK, everyone stop and try to picture this...  Your parents having sex.  GROSS!   Don't make me do it!  I used to have a very difficult time picturing this.  No, I don't actually picture it, I just can to accept it.  My parents were human like everyone else.  They weren't perfect.  I often wonder what parts of my parents life I didn't get to see.  I know I didn't share everything.  It's the mystery I enjoy the most.

But, I digress...

My Mother had two lives.  The first half of her life was the homemaker and mother for my brother and sister.  The second half was mother to me and Conner Prairie (CP).   When my Mother began working there, she took control of her life and headed down the most fulfilling path in her life.  I honestly think it was there that she became a real person to me and not just my Mother.  I have many stories that I can tell and will about her (and my) life at CP.

My Mother got very involved with many people there and made numerous friends -- Kathi, Gina, Gretchen, Michelle, Joyce, Leisa...  The list goes on.  

I remember one field trip in particular, that I have tried to expunge from my memory with some success.  A trip to Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill in Kentucky, not only to visit the museum, but also meet "the silk ladies."   There were five of us in a van -- Terry and I sat in the front, while my Mother, Joyce, and Leisa sat in the back.

The most memorable part of the trip was the conversation that erupted in the back.   I'm not sure how it began, but Joyce lead it.   The topic was "going to the gynecologist."  Joyce made comments about the stirrups.  I believe Leisa and my Mother chimed in at some point about the examinations.  Lights, action, camera, Popsicle sticks, legs up and out...  OMG! The whole story!

Terry and I just sat in the front, trying not to listen...

To be honest, it has really turned in blur.  Probably for the best.   Who really wants to hear about their Mother's trips to the gynecologist anyway?

Happy Mother's Day, Mama!   Glad you brought me into this world, cared about me, and gave the love and support when needed.  

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...