Monday, June 11, 2012

Setting the Mood

Stephen King wrote in his book, On Writing, that you should have a quiet room and a door to shut out the world while you write.  OK, I have that, but it's not always quiet when I write.
In order to help me set the mood of the scenes I am writing, I play music.   Only instrumental, never vocal. 
On the stack next to my desk, I have a CD entitled The Hollywood Sound (John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra), the soundtracks from both Sherlock Holmes films, Danny Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana, Beethoven for Your Beloved, the soundtrack to Hereafter, Birth, The DaVinci Code, and Downton Abbey.

They help me create the mood of a scene.  I wonder what a seasoned writer would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...