Sunday, June 10, 2012

Thanks, Zadie Smith

"Tell the truth through whichever veil -- but tell it.  Resign yourself to the lifelong sadness that comes from never being satisfied."  -- Zadie Smith.

About twice a week, I flog myself.  Bitterly.  I cry, then drift off to sleep.  No leather whip or cat-o'-nine-tales involved.   Only words in my mind.  Berating myself.  Calling myself a BFN (big fat nobody) because I keep rewriting, reediting, adding, subtracting, retelling...

I found the above quote a few weeks ago.   And yes, I have resigned myself to never being satisfied with my writing.

But no matter what, I keep rolling along...

I admit I have never read any of your books, and maybe never will since our interests are drastically differnt, but your two simple sentences made me feel better.  Thanks, Zadie Smith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...