Friday, June 15, 2012

Talking like an 11-year old

One of the biggest challenges for me has been writing dialogue that sounds like an 11-year old.  I still think Sam talks too much like an adult, even though he hangs out a lot with his Mom and Mrs. Steers.

I found this site -- Writing Young Adult Fiction For Dummies.  I had no idea the Dummies series had a website.  I learn something new everyday.   They have some good tips.  Since I am no longer a kid, but still one at heart, it's not easy to think like one.

As I read over their advice, I found this one interesting -- "Choose simple words. Young people don't generally break out the 50-cent words in normal dialogue unless they're fascinated by words or maybe want to show off how smart they are."   Guess what?  Sam is pretty smart for his age.  Maybe we'll be fine with a few bigger words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...