Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Single Traveler

Note:   I wrote this several days ago, so I am not sitting at Starbucks. 

Right at this moment I am sitting at a window counter in a Starbucks on Michigan Avenue in Chicago.  Twilight is here.  Out on the sidewalk, people are rushing by. Hailing cabs.  Checking in or out of their hotel.  I see them, but they don't look at me. They just walk by looking at their Androids, iPhones, staring down at the grey pavement.  I wonder what they are thinking about?  Dinner?  Just getting home?  And what are they looking at on their deviecs?   Email? Text messages?  The news?  This blog...  I wish.

It's cool out, not cold, but enough for the felt caps and knitted scarves.  I see they've dug out their heavier jackets from the back of their closets. Winter is coming.  Chicago at this time is starting to look festive for the holidays.  Christmas lights, trees, wreaths are all starting to show up.  Earlier when I walked by, I noted that Macy's Department Store was decked out, ready for the holiday season.

I take in the whole scene.  I'm here near the Miracle Mile, wishing for a miracle.  It's hard sometimes to take in the scenery alone, but I do it.  Watching the people.  The other singles. The cuddling couples. The ragged families.  All scurrying by to their destinations.

It's hard to travel alone, but it's harder to justify not traveling at all.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...