Wednesday, November 13, 2013

"What Now?" by Ann Patchett

Many thanks to Ann Patchett and her newer book, "What Now?"  It's a great little book, only 97 pages.  I read it in an hour.   Patchett reflects back on her life about where she had been to get where she is now.  It made me think about my own life, the road that got me to this point, and where do I go from here.

As Patchett told her story beginning with college and then flowing into real life, I began to think about all the people who influenced me, pointed me in one direction then another, supported me, and gave me what I needed but didn't know it at the time.   Some may never have known that they did influence me.  Others I've thanked in person.

Of course, there were my parents and my sister, but there were others as well. 

First, my high school French teacher Madam Koch who gave me my first A.  After that, my life began.  I was good at something -- reading, writing, and speaking French.  While math and science remain my bitter enemies, I found that language, history, the arts, and writing to be my fortes.  Even though I haven't seen her in years and I'm no longer in high school, she will always be Madam Koch.  I think by now we can be on first names basis...  Thanks, Janet.

Second would be Penny.  Although she herself has remained stuck in a historic imprint in her life, she reminds me, without saying one word, that life has to go on.   By watching her inability to move on, I see something that I don't want to do...  Not move on.   Life flies by and I'm worried that I won't have enough time.  Penny also read the very early scribblings of my first book and basically said "Keep working at it."  Thanks, Penny.

Third, without any question, I choose J.D.   His real name is James David, but I've known him as J.D. all my life.  His brother, Oren, influenced the path of my life as well.  I wrote about him in another post.   J.D., without his knowing it or saying much, showed me that life can be a blast, if you take chances and see the world.  We may not agree on where to go, what (or who) to do and see, but it's the point that I'm not sitting here rotting that's important.   Thanks, J.D.

That's a good start on the Thank Yous.  There will be others.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...