Thursday, November 21, 2013

Chicago! Part One

Well, I've been wanting to try my hand at travel writing... So here goes.

I just spent 2.5 days in or near Chicago. (The half day being Sunday and wanted to avoid the hurricane that was a'comin'.) 

First I want to say this about Chicago... What a great city!  Lively.  Bustling.  Windy.  Museums.  Shopping.   Starbucks on every corner.  And lots of handsome faces... If you're into that...  Which I am... 

I arrived in the Indiana suburbs and parked at my friend's house.  From there, I walked over to the South Shore, bought a ticket from a faceless machine in no time, and boarded the arriving train.  The timing was perfect.  I had checked the schedule beforehand, so I knew what to expect. The trip to my first stop lasted all of twenty minutes or so.

Getting off at the 55/56/57th street station, I had arrived in the big city.  Racing past enclosed waiting areas, I found the descending stairs, then the streets, and in no time stood in front of the Museum of Science and Industry.  It was heavenly to see those large banners with a giant Mickey Mouse beckoning me in...  Taunting me to the exhibit Treasures from the Walt Disney Archives...  Ahhhhh... I could feel their presence.  Inside those stone walls, somewhere in a guarded gallery, I was about to be made love to.   Seduced by the lure of stage props, original costumes, and delicious memorabilia. 

And sure enough, after paying the entrance fee, grabbing a guide map, waiting until my assigned time, I found myself within inches of Walt Disney's desk.  And awards including two gold shiny Oscars.  Then, be still my heart, the original knob from the bed in Bed knobs and Broomsticks.  I was one degree of separation from Angela Lansbury.  Hey, she touched it.  Watch the movie.

I swayed and swooned over the carpet bag carried by Mary Poppins and the coat and hat she wore.  The blocks that spelled out her name.  Captain Jack Sparrow's outfit.  Mechanical figures from The Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion.  The prop Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I staggered, drunk with awe...

I felt sorry for the security guard who really thought I was drunk.  "Ha!", I said.  "Drunk like hell, I'm having an orgasm."

But most of all, I felt sorry for the poor cleaning woman.  She cleaned loads of my drool and slobber from the Plexiglas cases as I pressed my nose against them to get as close as I could.  Poor thing... I hope they gave her a bonus for the day.

CSM

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...