Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My Fears, Part One

I've decided to try this.  Let's see if it works.  Let's see what happens.  Instead of keeping my fears to myself, I've decided to shout... well, at least, write some of them and throw them out there.  From there, I can work on them, get over them, and move on.

My Fears:

1) The fear of dying before I get everything done that I want to do.  Well, I can't stop it from happening, but I can chose the most important stuff to accomplish.

Steve Jobs said it best...

“Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life.  Almost everything--all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure--these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important."

2)  The fear of rejection.  (Eyes rolling)  Whatever...  Get over it.  If I get rejected, there are always other fish in the sea.  Just keep going up to guys and say 'Hey, I'm Chris.  What's your name?"   I am conquering my fear of rejection by asking some totally cute guys "Hey. Let's get a drink sometime... It's just a drink. I'm not asking you to marry me... yet... Maybe after a few drinks... just kidding..." 

And besides, Steve Jobs said it best...

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

3)  The fear of change.  Too late. I've changed so much in the past few months. Some of it forced.  I had to face my own mortality. 

And once again, Steve Jobs said it best...

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet, death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it, and that is how it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life. It's life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.”

4)  The fear of not finding another quote so perfect!  Steve Jobs provided the best quote ever to help me think about my fears.   They're really not worth fearing.  Thanks, Mr. Jobs.

CSM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...