Sunday, November 10, 2013

To Chris -- Hope for the Best! -- From Martha

Wednesday morning, it rained.  My head hurt. I wasn't feeling good.   I was suffering from the blues.  If it had been Monday, I could've sang that old Carpenters song.

To make a long story short, I was feeling hopeless.   I had finished book two, working on book three, and was pulling up old emotions for a another book that has no relation to my trilogy.  I wondered if other writers went through this same emotional flat line.  It was really a dumb question because the answer was "Yes, they do."

So, there I sat at work, reading the morning newspaper, wishing for a miracle or at least a few words of wisdom, when it happened.

Martha Stewart.  Martha Stewart happened.  The perfectionist had been in town to give a talk.  Oh how much I adore her... and hate her... and love her... yet can't stand the sight of her.  But, I digress.

Martha was quoted as saying "I wrote my first book at 40, my first magazine at 50" and then something weird about her gynecologist telling her she was "a late bloomer."   That was all I needed.   I realized why I like Martha so much.  We were both late bloomers.  I wrote my first book when I was 40...  Hmmm... Maybe I should plan on my first magazine at 50.    What should I write about? Writing?  How to be happy?

Well, whatever it might be, thanks Martha.  You said something that made me happy.  Despite the rain, I can see clearly.

And to quote you, "it's a good thing."

CSM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A View of the Town: Episode 16 -- Mrs. Abigail Symons Simmons

Welcome to  A View of the Town , the adventures of Dr. Willis Fletcher in a small coastal town in Maine. Offering tidbits of local color and...